With the 100% probability that OBOR will raise living standards across Eurasia, 10 suggestions:
- Build an “OBOR-Americas.“ Look at OBOR as a model for similar infrastructure from Alaska & Canada to Tierra del Fuego, enriching everyone along the way: road and rail links, seaports. Add airports where it makes sense. Add an electrical grid and Venezuela can start selling their oil again to benefit the region by burning it into electricity, increasing manufactures. Then they’ll all need cars to get to work so will buy gas. Will Venezuela play? They can get on-board or OBOR-A will avoid them. Know the names of towns across the US Great Plains who were bypassed by the railroads in the 19th Century? No one else does, either… Simple, brutal calculation. Which do you think the citizens will choose? If we must spend zillions of fake tax dollars, infrastructure that will be used and will create rising regional living standards is much better than weapons that will do neither – and never will be used to fight wars we actually want to win, anyway.
- Focus on the future rather than bandaids on the past. Material progress in the Americas is the best, perhaps only, way to combat both national corruption and the drug trade. It’s nice to pretend corruption must be fixed before a huge infrastructure project can be undertaken, but it’s fantasy to think it’ll go away, and it’s greater fantasy to think that it doesn’t exist in the OBOR environment; if they can deal with it, so can we. As with the poor, corruption will always be with us. Rising living standards will result in more job creation, giving people something to do besides grow, pack & ship cocaine. Build an OBOR-A and the illegals coming here will go build that, instead. Win-win.
- Provide an escape route for european factories. If we – governments across the Americas – did an OBOR-A, European factories would have somewhere to go when the only European workers are illiterate muz. This is going to be the case in about 20 years. Make Argentina the new manufacturing location for German cars – there are lots of Germans in Argentina. Then they’ll need decent roads. Give indigenous Europeans somewhere to go when muz occupy them completely. This also will raise education standards across the region.
- Create jobs. A huge – very huge – infrastructure project like this will create about a zillion jobs, plus or minus. Americans, North and South, having nothing to do now but sit around will be able to find work. Easily. We can begin closing the welfare spigot and quit printing so much fake money to “pay” for it. As with the Gingrich-Clinton policy of the late 1990s, reducing welfare gets people off their couches and into the workforce. That’s the only thing that’s going to end the intergenerational poverty the Democrats invented with the mis-named “Great Society,” which only created a poverty trap to ensure a permanent underclass voting for ever-bigger government. If American taxpayers must fund a bunch of this to kick it off or gain regional agreement, it’s a better use of our tax dollars than enriching defense stockholders and sending our kids to a depopulating Europe, or to get killed as the “trigger” to counterattack a North Korea that both South Korea and Japan have the financial wherewithal to oppose – but refuse to because we are dumb enough to do it for them.
- Quit sticking our nose in other people’s business. The Wilsonian ideal of sticking our nose in everyone’s business not only is not reciprocated in other regions by other regional powers, but created the bloodiest century in history. Let Darwin work – it applies at the nation-state level, too. Bush 41 & 43 just extended Wilsonianism to S Asia. How’s that working out for a billion people in Europe, and billion-plus across the Middle East & S Asia? Just Stop It.
- Terminate our participation in NATO. All it does is enrich the Military Industrial Complex with real dollars taken from taxpayers of today and tomorrow while pretending to be able to defend a demi-continent that doesn’t believe in its future enough to populate it; so who cares? Europe is done – their choice – and will be colonized either by islam or Russia. Russia is a better answer, but: Not our business.
- Engage, don’t blockade. The Wall fell via engagement with the USSR, not embargo/blockade. We don’t need to see Iran as a potential strategic partner to engage with them. We sure didn’t see the USSR as a partner. As with the USSR, Western engagement is more likely to overturn an un-free totalitarian government than an embargo which just keeps them joined against the “Great Satan” “enemy.” E. Europe: Engagement, Cuba: Embargo; which worked? 80,000,000 customers live in Iran… Why do you think China is building OBOR?
- Leave Iran to the region. If Iran is going to go nuclear, that’s a regional issue. Let those within range – Europe, Israel, Saudi Arabia, India – deal with it; we sell them plenty of weapons – we don’t need also to fight their wars. If Iran send an MRBM to Europe, too bad for Europe, but who do you think demanded all talk and no action? If Iran sends one to Israel – Israel will solve the problem. And if a Shia bomb gets close, odds are that a Sunni bomb will oppose it – Pakistan already has them, Saudi paid for them so probably has some, too. Their problem, not ours. India can play, too. Once OBOR is in play, China will have no interest in Iran using nukes, but also won’t have any interest in preventing her having them; it’s a dangerous neighborhood. And China isn’t Wilsonian. (Notice, also, that no one invaded Ukraine until they gave up their nukes; Iran reads the paper.)
- Quit blockading Cuba. Doing so is the exact OPPOSITE of what worked to bring down the Wall
- Throw islam outta here & breed Democrats out of the country. Two flies are stuck in this ointment, both having the same goal: Overturning the Western capitalism and liberty that have been raising global living standards since the late Middle Ages. These are the totalitarian left/communists inhabiting America as “Democrats,” and islamists. Islamism can be contained by outlawing the practice of islam, closing mosques and throwing out of the country those who complain. No other cohort causes the damage to society that they do – so throw ‘em out. The cost/benefit of their being here is all cost and no benefit. No increasing muslim population has done anything but reduce standards of living, education, literacy, human rights, women’s and children’s rights, personal safety – ever, in any nation. Time to grow up, admit this, and throw them out. Contain them to the geographies they have made crapholes and ignore them. No serious nation would still accept them in their midst. What does China do with radical islamists? Buries them. Democrats are another problem. They already forego breeding, but our K-12 keeps turning out new ones. They won’t be contained or eradicated until we A) enforce our laws, B) take the “schools of education,” K-12 and the academy from them. Fantasizing that we can raise mature future citizens through an education system populated by communists is just that: fantasy. Raise the admittance bar for teachers so our teachers aren’t the dumbest college cohort (which is why the idiocy of communism appeals to them), pay them on merit – this isn’t a collective (which requires outlawing government-sector unions, which JFK created via EO 10988, so can be overturned by EO, as well) give education back to the cities (no, not even to the States), and let the parents fix it. And don’t let non-parents vote on school issues, bonds, boards, councils…
Not doing an OBOR, not moving money to infrastructure from the obsolescent defense needs of the (over) Cold War will continue to ignore more than a billion people who, if the infrastructure were available, could become productive workers and families.
Unless we are happy with the way things are, it’s time to begin doing things differently. An OBOR for the Americas is a great place to start.