America was created BY THE STATES with THIER ratification of the Constitution. The Federal government created BY THE STATES was designed to be INFERIOR TO THE STATES and to the Constitution that created the Federal Government, and which gives the Federal government the LIMITED POWERS it is allowed.
America now has a president and Members of Congress swearing an oath to the Constitution yet regularly violating that oath – and the Constitution.
- The 2nd says “Shall not infringe,” for example, and SCOTUS has confirmed an individual right to keep & bear arms, yet both the president and Congress are working to violate this amendment.
- F & F is a blatant violation of the law for which the president & his Atty Gen refuse to be held accountable, or allow Congressional investigation as a part of their Constitutional oversight responsibility.
- DOMA & DREAM both are Constitutional violations and Congress has chosen for unknown reasons not to protect the legislative prerogative they were assigned in the Constitution.
- Benghazi is worse than Watergate & Iran-Contra combined.
So – how to fix an out-of-control government ignoring the Supreme Law of the Land, the Constitution, the legal framework under which they MUST govern? How to regain control of an out-of-control national government unwilling to control itself directly by acknowledging that the Constitution is superior to them, or indirectly by enforcing Separation of Powers on one another?
There seem a few items that can bring the government back under the control of the States:
- Term limits: 12 years total across all federal elective offices – House, Senate, Presidency (and VP)
- No retirement (no, not even a 401K – they’d just vote themselves a 10,000% match); they make enough to open an IRA – it’s what those of us who pay their salaries and bennies do
- No bennies (buy their own health care – they can afford it better than most Americans)
- No lobbying for a duration equal to their stay in office (all federal office time combined) after they’re out of office.
Some of these ideas are pretty standard and never have gotten the traction they need; it’s time they do when Congress shoves down our throats an Obamacare from which they exempt themselves, or tries to pass a gun ban from which they exempt themselves, or pays for their kids’ college loans with OUR Obamacare “taxes.”
So let’s go a step farther:
It is time to create an Inspector General, reporting to the Governors (NOT the legislatures; this is an executive position) of the States, elected for a single, 6-yr term by the Governors of the States, to review major actions of the national govt (laws, regulations, etc) with regard to the Constitution – and provide this IG Standing to take to SCOTUS (who would be given Original Jurisdiction) ANY decision, appointment, law or regulation the IG felt is not allowed under the Constitution, and any lawsuit opened by this IG is allowed to outlast his/her 6-yr term, eg is allowed to continue even after that IG has vacated the office at the completion of their term and been replaced by the next IG. This IG will have the power to decide, “Constitutional,” or “Unconstitutional” for any law, regulation, etc., and to litigate that decision as necessary (i.e. s/he cannot legislate).
The States created the federal government by ratifying the Constitution (not the People). The States gave the Feds certain, specific, enumerated rights – and reserved ALL others to themselves; the national govt has exactly NO powers the States chose not to give it. The Feds have proven beyond any doubt that they believe themselves superior not only to the States that created them, but to the People they serve, and the Constitution that created their office.
The States should create and circulate an Amendment to the Constitution to create an IG to oversee the Feds, initiating a shift of power BACK to the States where it was designed to reside.
Because the Feds are out of control.