Baby. Boomers, the first generation educated by unionized teachers, are a disaster. They now are running the government.
Here are some of their programs:
1. We pay farmers not to grow crops
2. We pay for meals for public school kids whose parents can’t afford meals – but who can buy those kids cell phones and video games
3. We have two enormous and unsustainable entitlements in Medicare and Social Security. Everyone knows they are unsustainable, yet Baby Boomer politicians are not fixing them
4. We have had two Baby Boomer presidents, both of whom have embarrassed America before the world. (Clinton goes without saying; Bush 43, through his inability to communicate allows his opponents to mislead or plain lie to the public all the time; I am unaware of an organization worse at communications than the Republican party.)
5. And, of course, our political system is so bad that the Best and the Brightest would never consider running for office. Which explains all of the above and more.
Look at our Congress and President. These are the people we trust to manage our country now and to set the course for the future.
These are not bright people.
Educated people who care about their families would never put them through either the campaign process or the begging-for-money lifestyle of our government officials.
People who care about their families and their lifestyle – what they can offer their children in the way of education, living, housing, vacations, exploration of other cultures and countries and history simply cannot do so on the salaries we pay Congress and the President. In a capitalist, market-oriented economy, the best follow the money for those reasons.
And the best are not going to sacrifice the futures of their children for $400,000, the salary of the President, or $160,000, the salary of a Senator, when they can make many times that in the private sector – and not spend half their lives begging for money.
Regardless of the yammering of the press about the salaries paid government leaders, no one in their right mind would put up with the nonsense of government for the salaries they pay, nor would they purposely associate with people so dumb day-to-day.
The smart people are in industry. Those who want to be challenged, to figure out a way to fix things, to invent new things, to move forward.
Fixable issues – that we won’t fix. Yet another indication of our lack of education.