It ain’t rocket science.
1. Japan and Europe are demographically dead.
2. Europe can be held out as a role model only by the purposefully ignorant – i.e. the info is there and not understanding that Europe’s model is a catastrophe means ignoring the news for decades
3. America doesn’t have an immigration problem – we have an assimilation problem. Immigration is what’s keeping us from dying off alá Europe & Japan
4. Islam must be modernized or sidelined. We are trying modernization – though not as hard as we should be. It is difficult to see how to sideline it.
5. Russia should sell its eastern half (or more) to China before China decides to take it; Russia can’t stop them. China’s taking over of Eastern Russia will kill the UN and sideline America as a Pacific Power. Only if America is able to recognize that it will be a bipolar world will America remain successful. This will mean understanding that there are two big kids on the block – and that no one else really matters in an existential way. And since this involves change, something Baby Boomers don’t understand and can’t handle, America’s ability to remain a Great Power is problematic over time.
6. China may decide to take on Islam as — that’s where the women are. 30,000,000 men with no women is not sustainable and will cause a war. (Muslim girls and women may like the idea of not living in a tent.) This, too, will destroy the UN. It will be interesting to see if the US feels an overwhelming need to save Muslims anymore, or if we’ll be smart and mature enough to realize that things change – and it can be easy or hard.
7. China also seems to understand something else we don’t: A small number of civilians can overthrow the largest military or government. Colonials overthrew Britain in 1783, peasants kicked the US out of Vietnam, peasants overthrew the Czars in Russia. China reacted as they did to Tiananmen because they understood the power of organized people. If Islam posed a very significant threat to the modernization of China by again attacking the economic engine of America, it is difficult to see how China could refrain from destroying Islam – and they wouldn’t kid around. It will be interesting to see if America tries to stop them… Note that they would take Taiwan as a part of the game, and then wonder to yourself why they haven’t done it yet.
It is interesting to note that the Ultimate Idiot (Michael Moore) has done a documentary now on health care – another passion of the ill-educated who still want to emulate Europe. The WSJ today has an OpEd (by a Dr. certified in Canada and America) noting that in Canada (Hilary’s model) one can get a hip replacement for one’s dog in 2-3 weeks, but for a human it might take 3-4 years. The waiting list for maternity rooms in Canada in early 2007 was 10 months. Think about that.
Surgeons, hospitals and others are suing the Canadian government to be able to opt-out of Canada’s health care system; Sweden is doing the same. No one ever has called Sweden overly capitalistic.
And, of course, as long as America still pretends that a jobs program for 1M teachers is more important than the future of our civilization – educating our 50M children – things’ll only get worse.